Associate Professor, Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases
Medical Director, Primary Care Medicine Clinic
Associate Program Director, Internal Medicine Residency in the Division of Medical Education
Areas of Clinical Interest
- Infectious diseases, HIV infection
- Internal Medicine -- Certified
- BS: University of Rhode Island, 1982
- MA: Chemistry, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1984
- Medical Degree: Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, 1990
- Residency: Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, 1993
Honors and Awards
- Gender Equity Award, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 2007
- Richard J. Blinkhorn, Jr., Faculty Teaching Award, MetroHealth Medical Center, 2006
- Department of Medicine Teaching Excellence Award, MetroHealth Medical Center, 2006, 2004
- Senior Editorial Board, Natural Standard, web-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine resource: www.naturalstandard.com
Books and Book Chapters
- Barrette EP. Lymphadenopathy. In: Paauw DS, Migeon MB, Burkholder LR, editors. Internal Medicine Clerkship Guide, 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Mosby; 2008. p. 203-210
- Paauw DS, Burkholder LR, Migeon MB, DeWitt DE, Chun AA, Barrette EP, Pinsky LE, Soh SY, Limaye AP. Practical skills for the medical student.
- In: Paauw DS, Migeon MB, Burkholder LR, editors. Internal Medicine Clerkship Guide, 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Mosby; 2008. p. 23-54
- Barrette EP. Herbal Supplements Commonly Used as Complementary or Alternative Therapy.
- In: Goroll AH, Mulley AG, editors. Primary Care Medicine, Office evaluation and management of the adult patient. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2006. p. 1423-29
- Ulbricht CE, Basch EM, chief editors, Natural Standard Herb & Supplement Reference: Evidence-Based Clinical Reviews. St. Louis: Mosby, 2005. Ernie-Paul Barrette senior editorial board.
- MKSAP Prep for the Boards, American College of Physicians, 2004, contributing author.
- Barrette EP. St. John’s wort for the treatment of depression: an update. Alternative Medicine Alert 2003;6:25-30
- Barrette EP. Saw Palmetto for benign prostatic hyperplasia: an update. Alternative Medicine Alert. 2002; 5: 96-9
- Barrette EP. Saw palmetto for benign prostatic hyperplasia: an update. Alternative Medicine Alert. 2001;4:25-28
- Barrette EP. Can dietary choices prevent prostate cancer? Alternative Medicine Alert. 2001;4:1-5.